Paranormal romance heroes are all sorts of special. They brood with a capital B, often have superhuman strength and, somehow, because of their magical supernatural-ness, are infinitely more attractive than any measly ol' man. Plus, they're ferociously loyal and will defend their women 'til death. We caught up with Gena Showalter, who has written a delicious paranormal hero or 50, and asked her which paranormal heroes make her swoon. And don't forget to scroll down, because we've got an opportunity for U.S. readers to win a signed, personalized copy of Showalter's next Angels of the Dark book, Burning Dawn.
Over the years, I’ve collected a delicious stable of book boyfriends. I love the dark and tortured best. There’s something so shiver-worthy about a pitiless warrior finally ceding control of his heart to that one special woman.
In my mind, that woman is always me. Probably why I’m so possessive of my males.
Here are some of my favorites:
1. Lothaire from Kresley Cole’s Immortals After Dark series. He’s a sexy kind of cray-cray. He’s smoldering. Fearless, merciless, calculating. He plans his attacks against his enemies countless steps ahead. He is irreverent. He somehow makes bouts of insanity look hot. He will go to savage lengths to protect what’s his. I want to be his.
2. Ryodan from Karen Marie Moning’s Fever series. He is a mystery wrapped in an enigma … except there’s no question about this man’s ruthlessness. I gobble up every tidbit I learn about him. Watching him work is a pleasure. I can’t wait to see what he’ll do next, and I wonder what thoughts roll through his mind. I want to be the one he falls for.
3. Raphael from Nalini Singh’s Guild Hunter series. He's a powerful warrior with the ability to topple an entire city and everyone in it — but he will do that and a thousand times worse to anyone who threatens his woman. I’m already shivering. I can’t resist a hero who will go to such lengths to protect the woman he loves.
4. Vlad from the Night Prince series by Jeaniene Frost. He is pure sex. He is strong, and he is merciless. He protects his woman at all costs. He delights in her. He would die for her. He can pour on the charm — and kill just as easily. Mama wants.
5. And I cannot help but add William from my Lords of the Underworld and Angels of the Dark series. What can I say? I fall hard for the men I write about. That’s why I write about them. He is as irreverent and calculating as the others. He smiles while he commits the most savage crimes because he truly enjoys what he’s doing. Punishing his enemies, protecting the few he loves. He is narcissistic, but wears it well. Ask him. He’ll tell you so.
I don’t want to tame these men. I just want to be the object their eternal desire. I’m not asking for too much, right?
- Gena Showalter
Pick up a copy of Burning Dawn, available digitally and in print on April 29. For more swoonworthy, otherworldly heroes, visit our Everything Paranormal & Urban Fantasy page.