So, we all love to read, yes? That's what we're doing here on the RT Book Reviews website. And we all have those books from our childhood that turned us into readers. Those books that meant so much to us, they helped shape who we are today. For me, those books were about Anne of Green Gables, and the heroine who turned me into a lifelong bibliophile was Ann-with-an-e Shirley. And I am definitely not alone. We polled our friends and fellow publishing folks and came up with our favorite anne-cdotes. (We had to. Sorry.) How much do we love Anne Shirley? Let us count the ways — one for each book in the amazing Anne of Green Gables series, the series we're giving away below!
6. I once tried to convince my best friend that we needed to go to Prince Edward Island on vacation. "Nova Scotia and these islands are beautiful!" I insisted. "In January?!" (I lost once she found out the truth.) YA Bibliophile Heidi was luckier, she tweeted at us that, "A couple years ago a coworker and I went to Prince Edward Island to do all things Anne ... it was amazing!"
5. I saw Anne of Green Gables the Musical when it came to New York. My friend Emily (a big fan of L.M. Montgomery's Emily of New Moon series, naturally) and I were the only twentysomethings in the audience, comprised mainly of moms and tween daughters. We did not care one bit. (Nor would Anne have!)
4. An editor friend of ours once admitted to hanging out and reading in a cemetery, like Anne used to do. Until she discovered how creepy it was, and fled. Listen, everything's more quaint in Canada.
3. Unlike some book-to-movie adaptations that don't live up to the hype, Anne's movies are a delight. As fellow Anne devotee Wendy Roberts tweeted at us, "love those movies!" Filmed in Prince Edward Island itself, the Emmy-winning production is on par with the six-hour BBC version of Pride & Prejudice we watch annually with our aforementioned friend Emily. (Letting our geek flag fly today, folks.)
2. Anne surely had the best love interest, one Gilbert Blythe. Sure, he pulled her hair when they first met, but he went on to be one of the most swoon-worthy heroes of literature.
1. When I got a sneak peek at the new covers Sourcebooks put together, I cried.
Did you love Anne as much as we did? Did you pine for a Gilbert Blythe of your very own, all through high school (and, ahem, college)? Would you like to win some books? Sourcebooks is generously giving away three sets of ALL SIX ANNE OF GREEN GABLES BOOKS, complete with snazzy new covers. We apologize for shouting. We are very excited. And sad we can't enter ourselves. The books are, drumroll please:
Anne of Green Gables
Anne of Avonlea
Anne of the Island
Anne of Windy Poplars
Anne’s House of Dreams
Anne of Ingleside
Contest open to U.S. and Canadian residents. Share your favorite Anne memories below after you enter to win! And for more great teen stories, visit our Everything Young Adult page.