QUICK TAKES With Cate Tiernan
YA author Cate Tiernan has just kicked off her new series with Immortal Beloved. Now the author stops by to answer our first-ever "Quick Takes" quiz. And don't miss the author message and excerpt at the bottom of this post!
1) What was your favorite book when you were growing up?
I don't know if I had an all-time favorite, but I read voraciously. My mother worked in a bookshop for a while and I think I read their entire juvenile stock. The one that comes to mind most often is The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It was long and not dumbed-down and very satisfying.
2) What is your favorite book now?
Again, I don't think I have an all-time favorite. But I have favorite authors like Barbara Hambly, Jennifer Crusie, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Lani Diane Rich, early Linda Howard. And I read a lot of non-fiction.
3) When you were in school, how would you describe yourself?
Shy, artsy, hippie, geek.
4) Did you date in high school? Any funny stories you want to share?
I didn't date, but I did pretty much always have a boyfriend. I'm a little worried that I can't think of any funny boyfriend-related stories. All of the funny stories I can think of were with my girlfriends. Which I guess says something.
5) What hobbies did you have when you were a teen? Are you still interested in them?
I did a lot of practical, handy-type things--sewing, cooking, fixing things, using tools. Reading, shopping. Movies. And I still do/like all that. It sounds like I haven't evolved!
6) In Immortal Beloved, your heroine is immortal. If you had all the time in the world, what would you be interested in doing?
I'm not very good at doing nothing. I would probably set myself a bunch of long, time-consuming tasks, like learn how to draw and paint really well (that would take years and years), or memorize the OED (always increasing), or travel everywhere, learning about everything. And I would read a lot and bake a lot and maybe finally reupholster this chair I have.
7) If you could have one supernatural power (other than immortality) what would it be?
Gosh. Probably flying. Yes, I think flying. I'm always tempted by invisibility, but really, that would only be to spy on people and that's not good. I recognize that.
8) You write stories about very strong young women. What do you consider your greatest strength?
My greatest strength is my . . . strength. I don't give up on myself, and I trust my ability to survive things, handle things. I completely trust and rely on myself--not that I can do absolutely anything, but I can do whatever I need to.
9) Which of your characters are you most like?
Part of me is in each of my characters, even the evil ones! I can relate to all of them. Possibly Morgan Rowlands [from Sweep] has a voice most closely aligned with my voice. I don't know. There's a lot of Clio Martin [from Balefire] in me, too.
10) What book are you working on next? Can you tell us about your favorite scene in this book so far?
Right now I'm working on the second book in the Immortal Beloved trilogy. It's pretty dark! Poor Nastasya is in that darkest-right-before-the-dawn stage. I don't think I've written my favorite scene yet, because it will come right at the end---a scene between her and Reyn. There will be yet another shocking revelation, of course.
Want to know more about Cate Tiernan and her new series starter Immortal Beloved? Check out these author-extras!